You Are Valuable.

I realized something this afternoon as I looked in the mirror.

Almost every day, for years, I've been thinking the same type of thoughts whenever I look at my reflection.


Thoughts like, "I'll be beautiful when I lose ___ pounds.", "I won't look good if I don't straighten my hair.", "if I don't get a nose job someday, my nose will always make me look like a boy." , "I'll never be attractive if I don't get rid of my acne.", "maybe, I'll be more successful if I'm skinny." , "Because of my baby-face, no one will take me seriously unless I put some make up on." , "Because of ______ no one will ever want to marry me."



Sometimes I push the thoughts aside, but many times...they weigh heavily on me throughout the day; damaging my self esteem a lot. Today I thought hard about it and asked myself a new question: "What if I said the horrible things that I keep saying to myself, to other people? ...why is it okay for me to be harsh to myself like this when I would never even think those things about other people?"


I view other people as beautiful, unique, intriguing, and awe-inspiring. Every little detail. The way their freckles create a warm and familiar pattern across their skin, the way their hair lays, the way the shape of their nose plays a lovely part in the balance of their face, the way their eyes light up when they talk about something they love, or the strength displayed on their face when they boldly speak about a trial in their life that they faced with uncertainty but nevertheless conquered...


To me, other people are worthy, desirable and valuable. You can't convince me otherwise. Yet, why can't I appreciate my own uniqueness and individuality???
Why do I feel such an immense need to fix myself?

What hit me after thinking this, was the painful realization that MANY other people think the same kind of negative thoughts too. And, the thought that someone else might hate the things about themselves that are so very beautiful or handsome in my eyes....filled my heart with such sadness. We all, every one of us, feel the hurt and the sting of an insult when it's coming from another person...

So, why do we insult ourselves?
Why do we sometimes think self-depreciating thoughts, and not realize how bad it is?

Even if we never express how we feel about ourselves to others, self-loathing makes it harder to do everyday things; and it makes it much harder to love others.
Tonight, a dear friend of mine said, "Are you taking care of yourself? You look rough. If you don't look out for yourself, you won't be able to look out for the ones you love as easily."
Which is very true. Doing things for other people isn't as easy when you aren't sleeping well or you aren't eating enough. Even if you're taking care of yourself physically, it's important to take care of yourself emotionally and spiritually, too. YOU are important and YOU need to be taken care of too. You are WORTH IT.
To The King of Kings and Lord of Lords; you are GOOD! ๐Ÿ’—
Worthy of forgiveness, and love.
Zephaniah 3:17 says, "The Lord your God is in the midst of you, a Mighty One, a Savior [Who saves]! He will rejoice over you with joy; He will rest [in silent satisfaction] and in His love He will be silent and make no mention [of past sins, or even recall them]; He will exult over you with singing..." and Zechariah 2:8 says "…for he who touches you touches the apple or pupil of His eye"


Phillipeans 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
What a wonderful scripture. It really helps you remember the importance of thinking good thoughts. Self doubt and hatred is an attack from Satan. He wants us to feel down, he wants us to feel defeated. ALWAYS love others. However, PLEASE, show yourself some love too!!!


P.S.
Don't forget to smile. ๐Ÿ˜Š


Comments

  1. Your are such a sweet girl, keep that beautiful smile. You never know who needs to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Above all, Love. Ahava.

Education is beautiful!

Regret.