Above all, Love. Ahava.

אָהַב. Ahava. The Hebrew word for love.

"The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:31.

A few weeks ago, I helped a friend teach a painting class for elementary school children, and the kids were told to
paint something that reminds them of love. At the end of the class each kid told us what their paintings were about.
Some were funny, and some kind of surprised me.
Some paintings in particular really stood out to me. One little girl, painted two cats hugging.
She said "These cats love each other because they are best friends.".
Another little girl painted the moon, with a smiley face on it.
She told me that when you love someone, you can always see it. Even in daytime.
A (4 year old!) little boy painted himself with two other people.
He told me that love is when his dad gives him and 'mommy' a hug or a 'kissy' when he comes home from work.
The last two girls painted a cross, and a bible.
They said that God loves them so they love him, too.
The cross had hundreds of little dots under it.
The dots were people. 'because God loves everyone, even the bad guys and meanies.'.


I didn't tell my friend, or any of the kids,
that I'd been praying about what love is and studying the Bible about love every night for the past couple weeks.
I had been reading about the Greek words for love, Hebrew words for love...etc.
I felt like unexpectedly helping teach that class about love...
it was The Lord speaking to me and saying "Kathryn, I'm here, I'm listening."

I went home that day and immediately sat down to paint my own little painting of a cross.
At the top I wrote, "Ολοι! Even the bad guys and meanies." {Ολοι is the Greek word for everyone.}
I've been keeping the painting on my desk and looking at it whenever I study, read or write.
As we grow up, we really start having a hard time loving like Christ does. Unconditionally.
Sometimes I feel like that seems impossible to do.
We are sinners, so of course...we can never truly love without flaw. We are flawed.
However, by God's grace, we are forgiven.
He unconditionally loves us, even though we don't unconditionally or perfectly love each other (or Him.)
because He is Love.

------------------------

As I was referring to before, I've been reading a lot about Greek and Hebrew terminology/lexicons.
Greek and Hebrew words have a real depth to them.
Which (of course) add depth to scripture when you know what they mean and where they are used in the Bible.


I am sure some of you have heard of the Four Greek words for Love:

▪️Φιλἐω {Phileō} -Companionable love. Speaks affection, fondness, warmness or liking.
A platonic, friendship love

▪️ Ἀγάπη {Agapē} - called out of one’s heart by the preciousness of the object loved.
It is a love of esteem, of evaluation. It has the idea of prizing.
It is a love demonstrated by your behavior towards another person. It is a committed and chosen love.
It is the noblest word for love in the Greek language.
Agapē is not kindled by the merit or worth of it’s object, but it originates in it’s own God-given nature.
It delights in giving. Unconditional. God is love.

▪️Στοργή {Storgē} -This love has its basis in one’s own nature.
It is a kind of family and friendship love. It is a natural affection or natural obligation.
It is a natural movement of the soul for husband, wife, child or dog.
It is a quiet, abiding feeling within a man that rests on something close to him and that he feels good about.
It’s committed, sacrificial and makes you feel secure, comfortable and safe.

▪️Εροσ {Eros} - An erotic, emotional or romantic love.
Eros is a love of passion, an overmastering passion that seizes and absorbs itself into the mind.
It is a love that is an emotional involvement based on body chemistry.




------------------------


It is completely up to each individual whether or not they want to do a deeper study on terminology or Hebrew/Greek words.
I encourage you to look into it if you are interested!
I know life gets busy but I promise, if you make time for things that matter to you or that you find important;
you will benefit greatly from it. Even if you only get to spend a little bit of time each day.
I know it's hard to find time though.
I will put some verses related to love below that I've enjoyed reading and studying lately.
I hope everyone is well. Remember, pray thoughtfully, be kind; and love deeply.


💓💓💓

•1 Peter 4:8 •

•1 John 4:8•

•1 Corinthians 16:14•

•1 John 4:19•

•1 John 4: 7•

•1 Corinthians 13:1-8•

💓💓💓



Here is some details on Ahava, the Jewish word for Love. (from the Jewish Magazine.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Education is beautiful!

Regret.